Tuesday, March 3, 2015

1st Post: Algae and its Possibilites

Algae and its Possibilities
For the remainder of this semester in Anatomy and Physiology I have been tasked with researching, developing, and presenting a genius idea for our “20time” project. 20time is a philosophy used in classrooms and working environments to increase productivity and creativity for those involved. The philosophy urges the assignment of 20% of all schooling and work hours towards developing independent projects that could benefit the class or workplace when completed. Gmail, the arguably but extremely helpful electronic mail tool, was created as a result of this activity.
For my 20time project I've decided to focus my interests in bio-medical engineering into developing a theoretical, genetically engineered species of algae that could benefit the human body in a multitude of ways. My favorite possible health benefit that I've chosen to peruse research in is the possibility of designing the algae to use the natural body heat created in the human body as an energy source in photosynthesis to convert CO2 into O2 without the need for sunlight.

My personal goal of this project is to simply see what doors this path of study will open for me. I've spent most of my life fascinated by medical science and this project will give me the ability to not only create something with the knowledge I've already acquired but to learn so much more. There are obstacles ahead of me of course that will slow me down when researching this idea, such as the efficiency of thermal energy replacing photons or the actual logistics of O2 produced per unit of algae compared to O2 consumed by host. My achievement will not only be measured by the pursuit of this study or the solving of each issue but also the gaining of new ideas, and new possibilities.

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is such an interesting topic! I'm glad that you have found something so different from what has been commonly done. Im excited to see what things you will find through this project

    ReplyDelete